Saturday, 15 September 2012

Killer Kale

It must seem pretty odd that this blog is yet to host a single kale recipe. People, I've done you an injustice.

Kale holds some fond memories for me. When I was a kid it was a tradition to hide money in the kurly kale at halloween. I would jump up and down with excitement like all normal kids would when presented with a leafy green vegetable.

I had a lonely jar of pumpkinseed butter hiding in the corner of my pantry just waiting for me to finally think of a good way of using it. It was reduced price in the organic supermarket and I am actually physically incapable of turning down a bargin.

So finally I had a eureka moment in the shower (let's face it, everyone was their epiphanies in the shower.... Or is that
just me? :S). I connect my need to make kale crisps with that lonely jar of green goodness.

Killer Kale Krisps

Ingredients:
•200g kurly kale
•125g pumpkinseed butter
•Quarter cup of nutritional yeast
•Scant teaspoon of sea salt

1. Preheat oven to 120°C.

2. Remove the stems from the kale and tear into bitesize pieces.

3. Put the kale in a large bowl and add the yeast, seed butter and salt.

4. Massage until the kale is evenly covered. Make sure there are no clumps.

5. Distribute the kale onto 3 trays. Make sure that none of it is covered by another leaf.

6. Place all 3 trays in the oven. The top tray will take 15-20 minutes. During the last 5 minutes make sure to check them very regularily as they will burn very quickly.



No comments:

Post a Comment