It must seem pretty odd that this blog is yet to host a single kale recipe. People, I've done you an injustice.
Kale holds some fond memories for me. When I was a kid it was a tradition to hide money in the kurly kale at halloween. I would jump up and down with excitement like all normal kids would when presented with a leafy green vegetable.
I had a lonely jar of pumpkinseed butter hiding in the corner of my pantry just waiting for me to finally think of a good way of using it. It was reduced price in the organic supermarket and I am actually physically incapable of turning down a bargin.
So finally I had a eureka moment in the shower (let's face it, everyone was their epiphanies in the shower.... Or is that
just me? :S). I connect my need to make kale crisps with that lonely jar of green goodness.
Killer Kale Krisps
•200g kurly kale
•125g pumpkinseed butter
•Quarter cup of nutritional yeast
•Scant teaspoon of sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 120°C.
2. Remove the stems from the kale and tear into bitesize pieces.
3. Put the kale in a large bowl and add the yeast, seed butter and salt.
4. Massage until the kale is evenly covered. Make sure there are no clumps.
5. Distribute the kale onto 3 trays. Make sure that none of it is covered by another leaf.
6. Place all 3 trays in the oven. The top tray will take 15-20 minutes. During the last 5 minutes make sure to check them very regularily as they will burn very quickly.