Wednesday, 27 June 2012

Say what?


Don't you just love the look on peoples faces when you tell them their chocolate mousse is made from avocado? Or that their brownies are made from beans. Or that ice cream is really blended tofu. 



Maybe it's really mean but I totally get my kicks from that. I think it's hilarious. 



But just don't tell them until after they've eaten it. Otherwise they'll discriminate against your baked goods :(



Anyway I saw cauliflower chocolate cake on Chocolate Covered Katie so I decided to have a look around to see what other recipes were going. As yummy as Katie's recipe looked I thought these looked a little bit richer.



Having used up all my coconut flour for my buns I decided to give buckwheat flour a go in its place. I also randomly picked up macadamias the other day so I decided to chuck them in.



I wasn't sure how these would turn out and when I tasted them hot I was a little bit disappointed. But I'm always disappointed by the flavour of hot baked goods. I think flavour is more intense in cold goods. Anyway when I guzzled half of one of these the following day post run, pre tennis lesson (which was paid for with brownies :P) I was in shock. They we're the nicest brownies I'd made since I stopped using Nigella Lawsons recipe (that is the dirtiest page in all of my cookbooks...).

Cauliflower Macadamia Brownies


Ingredients:
  • 1 cup cauliflower puree (boil half a cauliflower, puree til smooth and measure 1 cup)
  • 1/2 cup soya milk
  • 40g dark chocolate (I used greens and blacks)
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 2 oz cottage cheese
  • 1/2 cup agave syrup
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup ground almonds
  • 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • Stevia or sugar to taste (I used about 1/3 cup stevia)
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 100g chocolate chips
  • 3 handfuls of macadamia nuts

1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.

2. Melt the butter and chocolate on the stove.

3. Meanwhile blend together the cauliflower, cottage cheese, soya milk, eggs and agave.

4. Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl. 

5. Add the chocolate butter mixture to the cauliflower mixture.

6. Fold wet mix into dry mix and add chocolate chips and macadamias.

7. Grease a baking tray (or two depending on the size) and pour in the batter.

8. Cook in the middle of the oven for 20-30 minutes depending on how deep your baking tray is. Make sure not to overcook these as brownies should never be dry. 

2 comments:

  1. Very courageous! Brava! Must give them a go so ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, they are divine. Nobody believed they had cauliflower in them.

      Delete