Friday, 22 June 2012

Rewarding

Thursday must have been the crappiest midsummers day in the history of midsummers days... But I kicked myself out the door for my run anyway... It ended up being about 3 miles longer than the estimated 5 miles I'd mapped out in my head and by the time I was on the homeward stretch I was already absolutely wrecked. And all I could think about was eating chocolate pancakes with peanut butter, banana and maple syrup while lying on my couch watching The Big Bang Theory (my new obsession). 



The only problem was by the time I got home it was lunch time and I had a nagging feeling I should prooooobably eat some vegetables. Not that I have a problem with vegetables obviously, I just really wanted chocolate pancakes. And totally deserved them :P



Along came a courgette in a cape... He flew from my fridge into my hand and sqweeked ''please use my subtle flavour and crunch in a chocolate pancake''. Well me and the Caped Crusader go way back so I agreed to try out his suggestion. 



I added raisins for a bite of extra sweetness and give the whole thing a ''tiffin square'' kinda feel. If you're feeling extra naughty feel free to top with the caramel sauce from my caramel squares recipe.



I guess the run wasn't so bad after all...


I swear... It's like instant chocolate brownies for lunch... What more could you want.

Courgette Tiffin Pancakes



Ingredients:

  • 1/4 cup spelt flour
  • 1 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
  • teaspoon baking powder
  • 40ml soya milk
  • 1 egg
  • drop vanilla essence
  • half a courgette, grated
  • pinch of salt
  • 3 packets of stevia or 3 tablespoons of sugar
  • 2 tbsp raisins
  • 2 tbsp chocolate chips
  • oil spray
  • maple syrup, banana and peanut butter to top.

1. Stir together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt and sweetner.

2. Add the egg, vanilla and soya milk and whisk to a smooth batter. 

3. Stir in the courgette, raisins and chocolate chips.

4. Spray the pan with oil spray and cook the batter. I made one big pancake and cut it into quarters but you could easily make smaller ones. Make sure its cooked on both sides and poke it with a fork to see if it's cooked inside.

5. Top with maple syrup, banana and peanut butter. Scoff immediately with sickening enthusiasm.

No comments:

Post a Comment