Saturday, 9 June 2012

Off-''beet''

Man I sure can dish out the corny post titles.... My alliteration muscles were getting a bit tired so I decided to go for a pun. Gotta love a bad pun.



I've made beetroot cake before but it was more of a beetroot chocolate mousse cake. Both cakes are rich and decadent but this one is definitely a more ''cakey'' cake. You can definitely taste the beetroot in this cake but it's by no means unpleasant. Personally I amen't actually a big fan of beetroot tastewise. I'd eat any vegetable but beetroot just isn't up there in my favourites.



 However I am completely and utterly obsessed with the colour of beetroot! I was big into sugarcraft when I was younger. I made Harry Potter castles, pigs and boats on the sea. You name it, I made it. I even made a river wonderland cake for my Junior Cert art project and got an A. 



But I was pretty allergic to the food colouring I used for my cakes so I usually ended up with a discoloured body part of some sort (blue throbbing lips etc... oh dear).



I decided I wanted to make a pretty cake for when my mum came home from India. And I had 5 beetroots that I so wasn't going to eat in my fridge. So this cake was born! It makes soooooo much batter that I had enough to make one for my dad too.



I made a pretty white cream cheese frosting from low fat soft cheeses (quark and cottage cheese) which I sweetened with xylitol and flavoured with vanilla. I dyed some of the white icing purple using some beetroot juice and thickened it with cornflour.



I used a new oil I found called Cocobran. It's a blend of virgin coconut oil and rice bran oil. It's handy because unlike coconut oil it's not solid at room temperature and apparently it doesn't hydrogenate when heated like olive oil does.



Ps. Rachel Allen dark chocolate chips are my new obsession. Dark chocolate buttons? Yes please. On top of BallyBleat (get it!?) goats milk ice cream... Yum.


Beetroot Chocolate Cake with Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting


Ingredients:
  • 4 eggs
  • 400g oil
  • 400g beetroot
  • 2 cups sugar or xylitol
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 2/3 cup cocoa
  • 1 cup chocolate chips
  • 2 1/2 cups kamut flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 250g quark or other soft cheese
  • 200g cottage cheese
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 50g sugar or xylitol
  • chocolate chips, berries etc to decorate

1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees. Grease your tins (you can use one big square 8 inch or use a few smaller tins).

2. Blend eggs, oil, beets and vanilla in the blender. 

3. Sift flour into a large bowl. Add sugar, baking powder and soda, salt and cocoa. Mix thoroughly.

4. Mix the wet mixture with the dry mixture and combined completely. Pour into tins. Cook in the centre of the oven for an hour if you're using the large tin or half an hour if you are using smaller tins. If you are using smaller tins make sure to switch them around so they get an even amount of heat. If you feel your cake is beginning to burn on top cover it with brown paper and put it in the bottom of the oven.

5. Meanwhile, blend your icing ingredients together (cheese, vanilla, sugar) and put it in the fridge to thicken. You can dye some of your icing with beetroot puree or juice if you have any leftover beetroot.

6. Remove the cake from the oven and stick a knife in. If the knife comes out clean the cake is ready. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack before removing from tin carefully. Do not ice while still warm as it will melt the icing.





No comments:

Post a Comment