Friday, 22 June 2012

In the A.M. hours

Last night I woke up at 4 a.m. 



It was raining outside and I could hear our range oven buzzing away in the kitchen heating the house. I was too warm to sleep and didn't fancy the idea of tossing and turning for hours.



So I surfed the internet for a while on my phone until I ran out of credit. God damn it, that's 10 euros in two days! Oh well. That's what I have a job for right? 



So I had cupcakes on the brain and no recipe. I took to the kitchen in the early hours and did what I do best; improvised. I even cleaned the house while I waited for them to cook.



 My cupcakes came out great. And I actually managed to save them 'til the morning. I literally took the tiniest crumb off the side just to make sure they were good. Wow. Definitely worth waiting for. 



I then noticed that the fruit bowl was positively brimming with orange. I swear to god, we go through 2 bunch of bananas in 3 days but one bag of oranges lasts us 2 weeks.



 It's because we're all far too lazy to peel them. So I decided that I must save the citrus fruit before it all rotted and went all smelly and mouldy.



I began peeling about a dozen orange, something I usually hate doing. The juice always sprays all over me. But it was surprisingly theraputic in the early hours when everything was quiet and the sun was just beginning to peak up over the hills.



 Usually I like music when I cook and clean but the silence was really beautiful. You don't get much silence when you have two younger brothers, a dog and seperated parents.



So after I'd left the kitchen spotless and all the pretty buns laid out I snuck back into bed. I felt like the tooth fairy or something. Though according to my mum the toothfairy would probably be quieter while unloading the dishwasher.


Bright eyed and bushy tailed after my late night adventure. 
I guess I had to make a tropical feast to make up for the crappy weather. Come to think of it, this counts  as my midsummers eve celebration right?

All the Bits Orange and Lime Juice.


Ingredients:

  • 10 oranges
  • 2 limes

1. Peel the oranges and put the in the blenders. Segment if your blender isn't very high power.

2. Squeeze the lime juice into the blender. 

3. Blend for 2 minutes. Pour into a jug and cool in the fridge


Coconuty Buns.


Ingredients:

  • 65g spelt flour
  • 40g coconut flour
  • 80g xylitol
  • 1 packet of stevia
  • pinch of salt
  • teaspoon baking powder
  • 40g desiccated coconut
  • 25g olive oil
  • 40g soya milk
  • drop of vanilla essence
  • 2 eggs
  • oil spray

1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.

2. Sift the flours into a mixing bowl. Add the salt, xylitol, coconut, stevia and baking powder. Stir to combine.

3. Whisk in the eggs, vanilla, olive oil and soya milk. Add them slowly to ensure no lumps.

4. Spray a bun tray with oil spray or line with paper cases. Spoon the mixture into the tray. It should be enough for 8-9 buns.

5. Bake in the middle of the oven for 15-20 minutes until light brown on top and dry inside.










1 comment:

  1. Hey, you did a great job with those cupcakes, considering the fact that they were made in the wee hours of the morn!! : ) Oranges in my home take the longest to finish too btw! : )

    ReplyDelete