Friday, 1 June 2012

A Compromise

The sunny weather is ebbing and flowing. I'm still on a salad kick but a chilly evening called for something slightly more substantial and warming. After a nice run with my Spanish friend Paloma we walked to the shop so she could purchase her essential dried fruits for snacks. She chose dried apricots which reminded me of my go-to quinoa salad which I hadn't posted yet.



 This salad is inspired by my mums friend Nullah. She's the one who introduced me to quinoa and red rice. She makes this with goats cheese and whatever vegetables are in here fridge along with some dried fruit, chickpeas and toasted hazelnuts. After much experimentation this is the version that I've decided works for me. It's basically loads of my favourite things in a pot.



 It's wonderful served hot or cold and for some reason I still think of it as a salad rather than a cooked dish even when it's served warm so in my mind it was the perfect compromise. :)
It's just perfect. There's so many different flavours but they all work in perfect unison together. It's also so quick and easy but makes loads so theres enough for lunches the next day.



Apricot, hazelnut and red quinoa salad.

Serves 5

Prep and cook time: 25 minutes.

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup uncooked red quinoa
  • 1 tin chickpeas
  • 1 pointed red pepper diced
  • 2 onion diced
  • Half a head of brocilli
  • 5 cloves of garlic diced
  • 2 tablespoon of herbs de provence (or fresh parsley)
  • 100g sliced mushrooms
  • 4 handfuls toasted hazelnuts
  • 10-15 dried apricots
  • soya sauce or sea salt to taste
  • olive oil

1. Boil the quinoa in 2 cups of water until all the water is absorbed. Steam the brocilli a little using a strainer on top of your pot if you like.

2. Sautee the onions for five minutes in a little oil or water. Add the garlic and saute for a further 5 minutes. Add the rest of the vegetables and cook for another 5 minutes. Add herbs seasoning and dried apricots and chickpeas.

3. Mix the quinoa and hazelnuts into the vegetables. Drizzle with olive oil before serving. Voila.










No comments:

Post a Comment