Tuesday, 1 May 2012

Protein Packed

Personally, I'm sick of being tired and sore after running. I mean exercise is meant to make you vibrant, healthy and energetic right? Not zombielike with bags under your eyes like a corpse and legs that drag like lead. I don't even consider myself to be someone who does an awful lot of exercise. I do a good bit but nowhere near the criteria that qualifies as overtraining. I run 4 days a week, usually logging about 20-26 miles. I also do some basic strength work. 



So If the problem wasn't overtraining then it could only be one thing... The dreaded phrase for all vegetarians....



.....Protein deficiency.
Dun dun dun.



I must have really been in denial about this. Otherwise I would have purchased my new Sunwarrior Vanilla Protein Powder much sooner! I swear to god guys... This stuff is a miracle in a tub. I went for a 4 mile medium-hard run yesterday evening and whipped myself up a big protein shake made of this and a good bit of soya milk. It wasn't exactly a gourmet experience. A bit chalky. Good whack of stevia aftertaste. But in comparison to my hemp protein powder it might as well have been fresh Italian ice cream. I woke up the following morning without the slightest bit of pain. I didn't even stretch! (Naughty me). Usually when I walk up the steps of the bridge on my way to school the day after a run I can literally hear my muscles creaking painfully. But today they were 100% pain free. Also the ache in my abdomen was completely gone (I've discovered these killer sit ups that I actually look forward to doing-Thank you Bodyrock.tv). 



So I decided to do this miracle powder some justice the next time I used it. I figured something of its nutritional stature deserved a better fate than being lumped in a protein shake that I chug back while holding my nose. Thankfully the stevia in Sunwarrior makes it absolutely perfect for sweet treats seeing as you need to use barely any extra sweetner. Raw chocolate brownies came to mind immediately.



I learned how to make raw chocolate brownies with the great Susan Jane White at the RDS Rude Health Show a year ago. They become one of my go-to quick desserts ever since. Here is her absolutely lush original recipe.




My version is perhaps slightly more practical than the original seeing as its intended to be workout fuel/ recovery grub rather than dessert. But that said... who doesn't want to use exercise as an excuse to eat chocolate brownies? :D

Chocolate Protein Brownie Balls


Makes 4-5 balls


Prep time: 5 minutes


Ingredients:

  • 50g raw almonds (extra to garnish if you want)
  • 5 sticky dates
  • 3 tablespoon cocoa powder
  • 2 scoops sunwarrior vanilla protein powder
  • 3 teaspoons plain soya yogurt

1. Put everthing in the blender and pulse til it forms a thick paste.

2. Roll the mixture into balls. Dust with cocoa powder and garnish with almonds.



No comments:

Post a Comment