Tuesday, 29 May 2012

Paradise

More things I love about summer....

1. Ice cold showers. Better for the enviorment and so much more refreshing. Plus they're a lot easier to get out of. I don't have to count to 60 like I do in winter before I brace myself for the icy air. Just ten more seconds please!

2. My fit flops. (A definite tie between these babies and my aasics in terms of life changing footwear.) Seriously folks. Best investment you'll ever make. You'll never turn back. Sometimes I even wear them in December. I could definitely see myself buying some of their winter footwear.

3. Smoothies for breakfast. Like this bad boy...

4. Hearing radios play everywhere. Paradise by coldplay definitely up there as one of my fav tunes on the radio at the moment.



So anyway... Shall we get down to the good stuff? This summer I want to step out of my comfort zone. In everything. Sometimes it'll be big things. Sometimes it'll be little things. They say that every day you should do something that you're afraid of.



So today it was a little thing. Almost without fail I will put a banana in my smoothie. Every single time. It just adds a creamy texture and sweetness that I crave in a smoothie. However it's also a very dominant flavour and doesn't really give much room for the other ingredients to shine.



So today it was beautiful and sunny and the birds were singing and I decided to whip myself up a big bag smoothie to start the day. A nice shiny pink lady was sitting in my fruit bowl along with a so-ripe-its-almost-creamy red pear. And a big container of frozen blueberries in my fridge. Hmmm....



I thought it sounded almost like an apple pie smoothie. With very autumnal kinda fruits... I went to the fridge in search of natural yogurt for added tang and creaminess... Only to discover that my ''black hole'' of a teenaged brother had eaten the whole carton. Yeah that tends to happen to all the chocolate, bread, cereal and yogurt in the house. It lasts maybe... a day... I'd love to see my brothers lifetime muesli consumption poured into a skip. Like that thing Jamie Oliver did on the food revolution when he poured all the sugar that kids consumed from their chocolate milk into the schoolbus. Oh Jamie...



Anyway. I had soya yogurt so I used that instead. Just added a bit of lemon juice for that tang. And of course Sun Warrior. This stuff is a must. I still think its disgusting on its own but it adds a useful sweetness and thickness to smoothies not to mention a whooping 17g protein per scoop. Win!



I always make so much damn smoothie! Not that I'm complaining. It just doesn't fit in one glass. Unless I use a pint glass... But thats a bit too weird. But I've come up with a solution that satisfies my hunger while I photography the smoothie. ;)



And of course stir ins are a must. It really turns the whole thing into a meal. I had to take a big old shlurp off the side of the glass before I could stir the toppings through because the whole thing was so fully loaded... 

Fully Loaded Apple, Pear and Blueberry Smoothie


Ingredients:

  • 1 big apple
  • 125g frozen blueberries
  • 1 juicy pear
  • 100g soya yogurt
  • 150ml soya milk
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 scoop sunwarrior vanilla protein powder
  • 4 chopped dates, handful of walnuts and some chopped apple to stir through.

Whizz the lot in your blender until silky smooth and top with dates, walnuts and apple :)

No comments:

Post a Comment