Wednesday, 2 May 2012

One Pot Wonder

I am basically allergic to slow cook meals. They are my Mums favourite thing to cook seeing as they're so damn easy so lets just say I eat more than my fair share of slow cookers. They also, without fail, involve the same vegetables everytime. Sweet Potatoe. Pepper. Celery. And carrot. Without fail.



Don't get me wrong... One pot wonders that you can pop on the stove and go do your errands while waiting for them to cook are great. But not... every... single.... night. Which is why I tend to make dinners with a little more shape. Think burgers, wraps, etc. Something solid.
Well my mum has gone to India for five weeks to train to be a yoga teachers so as of today there's gonna be a big gap in my life that I must fill with stews and soups.



So in honour of her trip to India I whipped up this tasty curry for myself and Rosemary (My mums friend and trusted beautician who's looking after my brother tonight). It was the perfect comforting and nutritious dinner and all I had to do was chop everything up, chuck it in a pot and go about my business while it boiled away on the stove.



Bit of a change of subject but I had a great day at East Lenster track and field races today. Took 90 great photos and bagged myself a second place medal in the Intermediate 2000m walk. It was my first time doing the walk on track. I've always wanted to do it because I love power walking and I'm so glad I finally tried it because I really enjoyed it and it was nice to have an event that I managed to do well in on my first try! Tomorrow I'm running the 1500m and hoping to do it in under 6 minutes... :S



Back to the food! I loved the curry but I to be honest the socca that I made alongside didn't exactly knock my socks off. :( So I won't post that recipe until I perfect it. It was ok. But it could have been much better.


Fennel, Leek and Lentil Curry with Pak Choi

Makes 3-4 big helpings

Prep time: 5 minutes in the morning to prep veg and leave it to cook on the stove for the day. You could cook it on the hob for an hour instead. Add water as need.

Ingredients:
  • 400g diced tomatoes (I used fresh but tinned is ok)
  • 2 leeks diced
  • 1 cup lentils
  • 2 pak choi, cut to bitesided chunks
  • 2 stock cubes
  • 1/2 tablespoon cardamon pods
  • 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1/2 tablespoon coriander
  • 1/2 tablespoon cumin
  • 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
  • cashew nuts
  • fresh coriander or parsley
  • natural yogurt

1. Put the tomatoes, leek, lentils, stock cubes and spices in a pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Simmer at medium heat for 1 hour. The long cook time helps the flavours mingle and the lentils become saucy. Add water as needed.

2. Stir through pak choi and cook for 5 minutes.

3. Serve in bowls and garnish with fresh parsley or coriander, cashews and natural yogurt.



No comments:

Post a Comment