Tuesday, 15 May 2012

Late Night Baking Bug

Because of the way my day goes school, training, chores I tend to be surfing blogs later in the day rather than earlier. It could be 10 o'clock when I spot something I absolutely have to make!



 When I doze off in class my mind usually drifts to what needs to be used up in the fridge. Once I start brainstorming theres no stopping me. It doesn't matter how interesting the class is, the teacher hasn't got a chance. By the time I get home I've usually got two or three recipes on my mind that I plan to make. I'm not saying they all get made and I usually make them in order of priority (dinner, lunch, treats) so I usually end up making the sweet stuff later on.



 It was my neighbour's birthday recently and I figured she was well due her cake (about a week late). I had cheesecake on the brain and a big block of firm cottage cheese in the fridge so I knew what it had to be.



Unfortunately I didn't have the pleasure of tasting the final product as I handed it over untouched. It was just too pretty to cut and I figured it's pretty rude to give someone a birthday cake with a piece missing!
Don't worry though, I did a good bit of taste testing as I assembled it!



In terms of health and speedy preparation conventional cheesecakes don't have a patch on this fellow. Cottage cheese is usually sold as a low fat product but please try and hunt down the full fat variety otherwise your filling will be too watery :( For a vegan option replace the honey with agave and the cottage cheese with firm tofu. I used manuka honey because I think its distinctive taste adds a little extra something to this cake but if you don't like it just use regular honey.


Manuka Honey, Lemon and Ginger Cheesecake


Prep Time- 15 minutes


Chill Time- 1 hour 30 minutes


Ingredients:

  • 225g full fat cottage cheese
  • 75g xylitol
  • zest of one lemon
  • 2 packs of oatcakes (12)
  • 5 tablespoons manuka honey
  • heaped teaspoon ginger

1. Pulse the oatcakes, honey and ginger in a food processor until it forms a 'biscuit base'. It should be coarse and crumbly but hold together if you press it together. Add more honey if you feel its not holding together enough.

2. Press the base into a small tin (preferably springform or flan, about 6 inches). 

3. Puree the cheese, xylitol and lemon zest in the blender. Add a little cornstarch if it needs thickening. Pour onto the base and put in the fridge to chill for 1-2 hours or until set.


No comments:

Post a Comment