Wednesday, 16 May 2012

Culture

So we have a pretty good culture here in Ireland in terms of music, language, dance and literature. It may not be practiced by the majority of the country but coming from someone who attends an Irish speaking school, trust me, it's there! 


The one thing that we seriously lack however is good traditional food. In fact half of the food that we consider our traditional food is actually English! Pfft... that's what we get for being colonized for so many years.



As far as I'm concerned for the most part Irish food can only be described as an epic fail (excuse my teen lingo). I dunno about you guys but overcooked vegetables, boiled potatoes and the like just don't float my boat. I prefer to give my veggies a little bit more TLC ;)


OK so I feel kinda bad bitching about the food in my homeland! I guess we have improved a lot recently thanks to importation. Sure 50 years ago most people had never seen a banana before. We've really opened up to different cuisines and started getting busy in our kitchens thanks to young and inspiring Irish Chefs like Donal Skehan who have recently showed up on the scene.



I must confess, however, that I have a few Irish favourites. Brown bread just happens to be one of them. There is nothing like a good wedge of Irish brown bread dunked in steaming soup or slathered with peanut butter and rasberry jam. I'm aware that the later isn't exactly traditional! But I'm really picky about my brown bread, it has to be perfect! A deep dark colour, an intense morishness, a chewy crust and a fluffy, tight crumbed centre. Not many breads live up to this criteria. 



About 40% of the bread I make isn't really up to scratch. I can count of one hand the loaves of bread I have made that made me think ''wow this is great'' and I swear this is one of them. I'm a total bread snob so you can take my word for it. I actually have an ethos. If the bread isn't good enough to eat plain the bread isn't good enough to eat at all.



So without further ado I present you with the recipe for my new baby.

Spelt Treacle Brown Bread

Prep Time- 10 minutes

Cook Time- 1 hour

Ingredients:
  • 500g spelt flour
  • tablespoon baking powder
  • heaped teaspoon salt
  • tablespoon molasses 
  • 5 tablespoons of oats
  • 600ml soya milk
  • Seeds and oats to top
1. Put all the dry ingredients in a large bowl.

2. Add the molasses and slowly stir the milk in until you've created a smooth batter.

3. Pour the mixture into a greased loaf tin and top with seeds and oats.

4. Bake in the middle of the oven at 200 degrees for 20 minutes and then lower the heat to 150 degrees and cook for another 40 minutes.

5. Remove from the oven and stick a knife in. If it comes clean the bread is ready. Allow to cool before removing from the tin.

No comments:

Post a Comment