When one needs an instant healthy meal you need look no further than soup. Soup is a saving grace for health fanatics. But I get a bit bored of the usual ''vegetable'' or ''carrot'' offerings that you come across in most cafés. I mean what is vegetable soup anyway? I'm always suspicious that it's a concoction of the weeks leftovers mixed together. Yuck :S
So today's post is a double treat. Two in one. Both ready 15 minutes from when your tummy starts rumbling.
Number one is a simple lentil soup with fancy pants garnishes :)
Fancy Pants Lentil Soup
- 1 cup red lentils
- Juice 1/2 lemon
- 2 tbsp boullion or stock cube
- 1 litir water
- 1 pointed red pepper, diced.
- tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp brown sugar
- 9 oatmeal crackers or other crackers of choice
- fresh herbs (I used rosemary from my garden)
- natural yogurt
1. Boil lentils in water for 12 minutes until soft.
2. Meanwhile sautée the red pepper in the olive oil and sugar for 5 minutes.
3. Add the lemon and stock to the lentils and blend until its smooth. Add water to adjust consistency if you want but remember it needs to be thick to support the garnish.
4. Split into bowls and garnish each one with some red peppers, a spring of herbs, 3 crackers and a dollop of natural yogurt.
Cheesy Brocilli Soup
This soup is partially raw and vegan if you wish :) It's also packed full of protein (believe it or not green vegetables are actually a great protein source) and other nutritional goodies such as vitamin B12 and C.
- 1 large head brocilli, broken into florets with stalk chopped (save a few florets to garnish)
- Tin of butter beans, strained.
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoon boullion
- 40g raw cashews
- 1 onion, diced
- 20g organic sharp cheddar grated
- Boiling water
1. Sautée the onion in a little water or oil for 5 minutes.
2. Put all the ingredients in the blender except the cheese. Add boiling water slowly as you blend until desired consistency.
3. Heat on the stove if required and serve in bowls garnished with brocilli florets and grated cheddar with big chunks of brown bread.