Monday, 9 April 2012

An Oatmeal Epiphany


So I'm a bit backlogged with recipes; I make them, I photograph them, I write them down… And then the internet doesn't work. Bummer.

Where to start? I guess I'll start with the most exciting thing.

Theres always leftover porridge hanging around in my house. My family seem to have a problem with weighing their grains. Theres always too much pasta, too much rice… So on, so on. Pasta and rice is grand. You just use it the next day in a salad. But porridge? What on earth are you meant to do with the solid slimy lump that is leftover porridge?





I tried to make some oat biscuits a few years ago but I made them too thick so they were horribly stodgy and dense and chewy in the wrong way.
Seeing as I was still scarred from that experience I opted to try a savory cracker rather than a biscuit this time. 

I was really quiet impressed with the result. Frankly I was expecting them to be awful but they were crispy and flavorsome.





I noticed if you don't let them crisp fully they start to rise up and become hollow in the middle…. hmm…. I sense an opportunity for some experimentation!





Ingredients:

-400g leftover porridge
-500g spelt flour + extra for rolling
-3 tablespoons dried sage
-1 tablespoon black pepper
-1 teaspoon sea salt





1. Mix the sage, sea salt and pepper into the porridge.

2. Kneed the flour into the porridge until it forms a dough like bread. It shouldn't be sticky. Use extra flour if required.

3. Pour flour onto your surface and dust it on your rolling pin. Separate the dough into 4 balls and roll them out. Cut into desired shape.

4. This should make 3-4 trays. Place the trays in the oven at 160 degrees for 15-20 minutes until crisp.

5. Be careful to check on them because it only takes half a minute to go from crisp to burnt :(



No comments:

Post a Comment