Wednesday, 25 April 2012

A Little Slice of Sunshine

You know those baking experiments that turn out to well that you literally jump for joy at first bite? The sheer pride you feel when you know something so glorious is the result of you casually tossing whatever ingredients you fancied into a bowl and giving it a magical stir. It's amazing to think that something so wonderful can be created with such little thought hours of meticulous premeditation.



I've had a polenta cake floating around my mind for a while now. Despite the fact that I love using cornmeal in place of breadcrumbs and in breads I've never actually made polenta. Something I've got to put on my to do list.



So back to the cake. It has a perfect balance of flavours. Zesty, tangy, subtly sweet and nutty. The cornmeal gives it that loose crumb that is signature to sponge cake. It's a far cry from the denseness of most healthy cakes.



At first I was kinda unsure about stevia. I kept trying to use it on its own and it left a weird aftertaste. But now I've learned the trick is to use it as a way of boosting the sweetness of another sweetner.



This is an amazing snack, breakfast or dessert. It makes 9 big filling wedges in a square cake tin. I guarantee the entire pan won't last a day! (Mine didn't).





Ingredients:



  • 1 flax egg
  • 2 eggs
  • 100ml soya milk
  • 50ml maple syrup
  • 1 tablespoon lemon
  • 4 tablespoons yogurt
  • 3 tablespoons lemon zest
  • 90g kamut flour
  • 165g fine polenta
  • 2 packets stevia
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • pinch of salt
  • 50g toasted flaked almonds
  • 150g rasberries



1. Mix together flax, eggs, soya milk, maple syrup, yogurt, lemon zest and stevia.

2. Stir in zest, flour, polenta, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

3. Fold in almonds and rasberries.

4. Transfer to square cake tin and bake in the middle of the oven at 180 degree for 30 minutes or until knife comes clean.




No comments:

Post a Comment