Wednesday, 11 April 2012

In a hump about Hemp

I have a bit of a love hate relationship with my hemp protein powder. I just hate how it tastes. But oh boy, I sure do love its nutritional info. 


So the obvious solution was to mask the flavour. I am usually a strong believer in keeping smoothies free from all things green. I think it turns a smoothie from being a blissful glass of fruity goodness to a murky coloured swamp that you chug down like its a chore. But hey, those stats were just too good to be true so I decided to give hemp a chance. 


I took baby steps; starting with half a teaspoon! I thought if I introduced it slowly I wouldn't notice it as much. I was pleased that it didn't affect the beautiful pale pink hue of my smoothie. 


The rice milk is the trick to the flavour. It's so amazingly sweet so you don't need any additional sweetner :) It makes the perfect post run drink. I opted for this instead of the porridge my mum made earlier which led to the creation of oatmeal crackers!


Serves 1

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup natural yogurt
  • 1/2 cup rice milk
  • 1 tbsp blueberries
  • 1 tbsp rasberries
  • 1 tbsp strawberries
  • 1 large banana
  • 1 tbsp hemp protein powder
Just blend the lot until it's smooth and creamy. Happy Hemp Slurping :)




No comments:

Post a Comment