Tuesday, 17 April 2012

Cake for Brekkie

Cake for breakfast is probably the last thing you expect to see on a healthy food blog but to be honest its a saving grace. Breakfast takes about 20 minutes for me to prepare and eat because I'm a slow eater and on a school day thats usually 20 minutes I'd rather spend in bed than listen to my brothers squabbling over the last bagel at the breakfast table.



If I've been a bad girl and stayed up a bit longer than I should have reading food blogs I would choose 20 minutes sleep over breakfast any day. But that said I can't operate with breakfast. So the solution is a portable breakfast that I can grab and eat on the bus. 



Muffins, cookies, flapjacks. Wow. This is beginning to sound like a one way road to diabetes and heart disease. Fear not. I'm armed with stevia and soya yogurt to healthify convenient breakfast classics!



It's the first week back to school after the midterm so obviously I'm a bit out of sync with my sleeping pattern. These quick and easy snacks have made getting up in the morning a hell of a lot easier.



This recipe is adapted from a recipe on Susan Jane Whites website. The original muffins are full of character and texture. They're dense and moreish; just how I like my muffins. My mother, however, begs to differ. She believes in light and airy cake, the kind thats usually achieved with a ton of white flour and other such silly things. This adaption of the recipe is my bid to please her. 



These muffins and fluffy and moist. I achieved this by swapping half the spelt flour for millet flour and using the baking soda and vinegar trick. Millet flour is my little pet. I love it so much. I don't actually eat that much millet (even though I think its yummy) but I seem to find an excuse to toss some of this snowy coloured goodness into even baked good that graces my oven with its presence. The baking soda and vinegar trick works the way those volcanes you made in primary school do. But be careful not to use too much otherwise your muffins might explode (happened to me in Switzerland when I was 12, in someone elses oven....awkward). 



I think the apricot jam adds a real something special to the frosting :) But don't tell anyone the secret to it's creamy goodness until they've gobbled at least 4 of these bad boys. Then feel free to drop the bomb.



Ingredients:

For Frosting
  • 100g soaked cashews
  • 200g silken tofu
  • 3 tablespoons agar agar
  • pinch salt
  • teaspoon vanilla essence
  • tablespoon apricot jam
  • tablespoon xylitol
  • juice of a lime
  • juice half lemon
  • tablespoon cornflour
  • tablespoon flaxseed
  • packet stevia


For muffins
  • 2 tablespoons flaxseed
  • 6 tablespoons peach and grape juice (or any other juice)
  • 1 overripe banana, mashed
  • 3 tablespoons soya yogurt
  • 3 tablespoons maple syrup 
  • 1 tablespoons cider vinegar
  • 3/4 cup spelt flour
  • 1/2 cup millet flour
  • 1 teaspoons bicarbonate soda
  • teaspoon cinammon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ginger
  • 1/2 teasponn nutmeg
  • 2 handfuls walnuts
  • 2 handfuls dried cranberries
  • 1 packet stevia


1.  For the frosting blend all the ingredients in food processor for 5 minutes. It's important to give it this amount of time as even though it may be smooth it needs the extra time because the motion causes the agar and cornflour to thicken the frosting. Set aside and chill. It becomes thicker the longer you leave it.

2. Stir the juice and flaxseed together. Add in the yogurt, banana, vinegar, maple syrup and stevia.

3. Sift the dry ingredients in a bowl together. 

4. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet and add the cranberries and walnuts.

5. Spoon the mixture into muffin cases and bake in the middle of the oven at 180 degrees for 20 minutes.

6. Let the muffins cool on a wire rack before you decorate them with frosting, walnuts, cranberries and grated carrot.

Now all you have to do is try and resist until breakfast time.

No comments:

Post a Comment