Sunday, 4 March 2012

A taste of Mexico

I love ethnically themed meals because I know the flavours will work together. When you make a meal without ethnic origins its much more difficult to think of flavours that will work together. I tend to get quiet anxious when I'm preparing something completely odd. But when I prepare a meal with a theme I get a real sense of the whole thing coming together...


Kudo's to my mom for making a beautiful smokey corn soup. We adapted it from the cornicopia cookbook. It was totally delicious.. Sweet and smokey. Corn was my go to snack when I started to get into vegetables. I'd just pop open a can and munch my way through the whole lot. I haven't used it frequently of late. Maybe its because I tend to have a preference for fresh veg but it's a handy staple to have stored in your cupboards. I don't dare imagine how beautiful this soup would be if you were to used fresh corn from the cob. 


Sweet and Smokey Aztec Corn Soup

Ingredients: 

  • 300g sweetcorn (tinned, frozen or fresh)
  • 1tbsp brown sugar
  • 1 onion
  • 1 carrot
  • 2 sticks celery
  • 1/2 leek
  • 4 cloves 
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp ground coriander
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne 
  • 1/2 tsp cinammon
  • 1 green pepper
  • 1 tin kidney beans
  • fresh parsley
  • salt and pepper
  • 1.5 liters boiling water
  • squirt of tomato puree


 1. Dice the onion, carrot, celery, leek and garlic. Sautee with a little water until soft. Add the dry spices

2. Meanwhile stir-fry the corn with the brown sugar.

3. Blend the stir-fried corn with the veggies and the boiling water. Season with salt and pepper and add the tomato puree.

4. Drain the beans and dice the pepper. Add to the soup along with the remaining corn. Cook until the pepper is tender but with some crunch.

5. Serve in bowls and garnish with parsley. Don't forget to slurp ;)


I came across these babies in the Dun Laoghaire Sunday Market. They are apparently a cross between a lemon and a lime. Perfect for anyone who cant decide whether to use a lemon or a lime in their guacamole!

Guacamole with Cayenne Pepper
Ingredients:
  • 2 avocados
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • Juice of one lemon/lime
  • salt to taste
1. Whizz the lot. Have you noticed I like my blender? :P

2. Garnish with lemon slices, cayenne and parsley.



But the meal wouldn't have been complete without...


Hot Skillet Cornbread

Ingredients:

  • 200g polenta
  • 50g kamut flour
  • 1 flax egg
  • teaspoon salt
  • teaspoon baking powder
  • half teaspoon baking soda
  • 250ml soya milk + 1 tablespoon lemon.

1. Preheat grill to 180 degrees.

2. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry.

3. Brush a thin coating of oil onto your skillet.

4. Heat until piping hot and pour on the mixture. Cook for 3-4 minutes until bubbles appear and everything except the very top is cooked.

5. Place in oven for 10 minutes until cooked.

6. Dunk in soup and smother with large quantities of creamy guacamole :D







No comments:

Post a Comment