Saturday, 10 March 2012

Cranberry, Hazelnut, Wasabi Coleslaw

My mum loves hellmans mayo. I, however, amen't the biggest fan. Asides from the hydrogenated oil and battery eggs, mayonaise was never really a vice of mine. I never really understood the big deal.

I do like coleslaw though... Its crunchy and creamy and makes for great sandwiches. Making interesting sandwiches is pretty much a quest of mine. So in an attempt to ween my mum off the hellmans this coleslaw was born.

The idea of adding mustard to coleslaw is nothing new, so I decided to toss mustards asian cousin, wasabi, into the mix for a kick. As for the cranberries, they were an exotic substitution for raisins. And the hazelnuts were just pure whim... :)


This is an absolutely great side to have at a barbeque alongside some vegetarian sausages (brings me back to the days of my dads fantasic brunches...) or in a pita bread with spinach. I had amazing sourdough rye bread at hand so I used that.

I have plans for an apple, spring onion and mustard variation with red cabbage.

Sub the olive oil and water with 125ml soya milk for an oil free version.


Ingredients:

  • 100g cashew nuts
  • 75ml extra virgin olive oil 
  • 100ml water
  • Juice of half a lemon
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • Sea salt
  • teaspoon wasabi powder
  • half a cabbage 
  • 3 carrots
  • handful of dried cranberries
  • 2 handfuls of toasted hazelnuts
  • fresh parsley
1. Blend the cashews, oil, water, lemon juice, garlic, salt and wasabi powder til smooth. This is your ''mayo''.

2. Shred the carrots and cabbage.

3. Pour over the mayo, mix. 

4. Stir through the hazelnuts, cranberries and parsley.

No comments:

Post a Comment