Wednesday, 22 February 2012

''Mock''scapone tomato sauce with lentil, aubergine
 and thyme ''meatballs''.

  I love sauce. Tomato sauce, curry sauce, chutney, cheesy sauce.... even ketchup sauce!! My dad always gives out to me for eating all the pasta sauce and none of the pasta! In fact cold, leftover sauce on top of some raw veg is one of my favourite lunches...



  So when I was in my brothers friend's house the other day and they were eating meatballs, tomato mascapone sauce and spaghetti it got the old grey matter working.



  The meatball recipe was inspired by Michelle over at Peachy Palate but I adapted it to feed the family instead of just a single serving and I changed the seasoning to my taste too. I swapped her gluten free breadcrumbs for amazing sourdough rye bread that I buy at the dublin food co-op. I added some lentils into the mix for an extra bit of protein too.


  The sauce is my own, and I am ridiculously proud of it. It is simply... divine. Rich, creamy and thick. Slightly reminicent of... Heinz tomato soup?? In a sophisticated way of course. I used cashews and soya milk to make a cream. This adds a nice dose of protein to the already impressively nutritious meal but skips the nasty saturated fat in dairy cream. It'll have you licking your lips and scraping the pot (shh... I did...).

  I used Biona organic spelt spaghetti because it is signifigantly higher in fibre and protein than boring old white spaghetti. It has a yummy nutty taste too.

 The spinach is crunchy and fresh in contast with the rich creamy sauce.

So here's the recipe.. after one more picture of course!

Ingredients:


For meatballs:

  • 1 aubergine
  • 150g dried puy lentils
  • Handful fresh thyme
  • 1 1/2 onions
  • 4 flax-eggs (1tbsp flax+3 tbsp water per egg)
  • 4 cloves of garlic crushed
  • Tamari soya sauce to taste
  • 2 slices of sourdough rye bread processed to breadcrumbs

For sauce:

  • 500g passata
  • 5 cloves of garlic, diced
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 carrot, grated
  • 75g cashew nuts
  • 1 cup soya milk
  • Tamari or sea salt to taste
Pasta and spinach:
  • 200g spelt spaghetti
  • 100g spinach
1. Dice the aubergine and roast in the oven for 15 minutes at 180C.

2. Boil the lentils for 20 minutes.

3. Add onions, garlic, thyme, tamari and aubergine to the lentils and cook on low heat for a few minutes to allow the flavours to mingle. Mash then a bit with a fork to hold them together. Add the flax egg and breadcrumbs and allow to cool a bit.

4. Cook the passata, onions, garlic, carrot and tamari in a pan until all the vegetables are cooked.

5. Blend the cashew nuts and soya milk in a food processor.

6. Add the cream mixture to the tomato mixture.

7. Blend the sauce until it is a smooth consistency.

8. Shape the meatballs into rounds the size of a golf ball. Bake them in the oven at 180CA for 20 minutes until slightly crisp on the outside.

9. When the meatballs are ready cook the spaghetti according to instructions on the packet.

10. Arrange the food on the plate with the spinach on the edges of the plate like a garnish.

11. Dig in!









No comments:

Post a Comment